Why I love Lemons!
I absolutely love lemons. I juice them in my morning smoothie with greens to balance the smoothie. I love to use them in fish and chicken dishes. Lemons are so refreshing. I’ve included one of my homemade lemonade recipes below along with a great article from Sayer Ji on the wonderful benefits of lemons.
Lemon-Limeade Liver Detox
2 peeled lemons
3 peeled limes
Water and ice to fill 2/3 of blender
Desired sweetener (local honey for allergies, organic agave nectar etc)
Fruit can be used to sweeten too (frozen strawberries for strawberry limeade)
Blend this a long time to get pulp smooth
Drink right away- this will go sour if left out
This is a huge detox for the liver and kidneys
I have cleared client’s kidney stones with this recipe!
Play around with the ice amount to find your desired consistency- smooth vs slusshy
Lemon: 12-Evidence Based Health Benefits
You know lemon, right? It is a tart, exciting, delicious and indispensable ingredient in recipes and beverages. But did you know that scientists have identified it is as a powerful medicine as well?
The most powerful healing substances on this planet are masquerading as foods, and this is all the more true for fruits. I’ve already written about The Amazing Healing Properties of 13 Common Fruits , including lemons, but it deserves its own mini-article for a number of reasons.
Here are 12 reasons why it deserves respect as a cutting-edge medicine, and not just something found in refreshing beverages or as an indispensable ingredient in a number of culinary recipes.
Lemon’s Evidence-Based Healing Properties Revealed:
- It Can Lower Blood Pressure: Simply smelling this fruit has been found in lower blood pressure.
- It Can Lessen Constipation: In combination with rosemary and peppermint essential oil, the smell of lemon has been found to relieve constipation in the elderly.
- It Can Remedy Bad Breath: In combination with tea tree and peppermint essential oil, it can reduce malodour and sulphur compounds in the breath of intensive care patients.
- It Can Reduce Esophageal Cancer Risk: Lemon, like all citrus fruits, contains physiological significant levels of flavones; Flavone intake has been found to be inversely associated with esophageal cancer risk. 
- Oral Yeast Infection: Lemon juice has therapeutic value in the treatment of oral thrush (oral candida infection) in HIV/AIDS patients. 
- It Can Dissolve Kidney Stones: Lemonade therapy appears to be a reasonable alternative for patients with hypocitraturic nephrolithiasis (a type of kidney stone). 
- It Can Reduce Inflammation: Lemon mucilage has significant in vivo and in vitro anti-inflammatory effects.
- It Can Protect Your Heart: Lemon juice antioxidant and cardioprotective properties. 
- It Can Protect Against Cholera: Lemon juice is a biocide against Vibrio cholerae, the pathogen that can cause cholera.
- It Is A Powerful Antioxidant and Prevents LDL Oxidation: Excessive oxidative stress is a contributing factor to accelerating aging, inflammation and a wide range of acute and chronic health conditions. One of the primary reasons why LDL cholesterol can cause heart disease is that it oxidizes LDL cholesterol, resulting in artherogenicity (the ability to damage the inner lining of the arteries). Lemon is a powerful antioxidant and is capable of preventing LDL oxidation.
- It Can Help Lift Your Mood and Reduce Anxiety: Lemon oil possesses anxiety relieving (anxiolytic), antidepressant-like via modulation of neurotransmitters.
- It Can Help You Maintain An Ideal Weight: Lemon peel polyphenols suppress diet-induced obesity, hyperlipidemia, hyperglycemia and insulin resistance.[13
In addition, lemon is also one of the most concentrated sources of food vitamin C on the planet. Unlike ascorbic acid – which is the synthetic form of vitamin C, commonly derived from GMO corn – lemon contains all the essential cofactors needed to provide the body the means to utilize it, and maximize its effectiveness in disease prevention and treatment (Pssssst. Please don’t tell the FDA, since its not approved to ‘prevent, treat, or cure any disease,’ and they wouldn’t’ look kindly on this statement).
For more information on the healing properties of lemon, view our lemon database and share this information far and wide. Also, learn more about the amazing healing properties of vitamin C by reading Research Proving Vitamin C’s Therapeutic Value in 200+ Conditions.
t Jung Hee Cha, Sun Hee Lee, Yang Sook Yoo. [Effects of aromatherapy on changes in the autonomic nervous system, aortic pulse wave velocity and aortic augmentation index in patients with essential hypertension]. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2010 Oct;40(5):705-13. PMID: 21157172
 Myung-Ae Kim, Jung-Kyu Sakong, Eun-Jin Kim, Eun-Ha Kim, Eun-Ha Kim. [Effect of aromatherapy massage for the relief of constipation in the elderly]. Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi. 2005 Feb;35(1):56-64. PMID: 15778557
 Myung-Haeng Hur, Joohyang Park, Wendy Maddock-Jennings, Dong Oak Kim, Myeong Soo Lee. Reduction of mouth malodour and volatile sulphur compounds in intensive care patients using an essential oil mouthwash. J Nutr. 2002 Apr;132(4):703-7. PMID: 17380550
 Marta Rossi, Werner Garavello, Renato Talamini, Carlo La Vecchia, Silvia Franceschi, Pagona Lagiou, Paola Zambon, Luigino Dal Maso, Cristina Bosetti, Eva Negri. Flavonoids and risk of squamous cell esophageal cancer. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Apr 10;160(7):1009-13. PMID: 17192901
 S C Wright, J E Maree, M Sibanyoni. Treatment of oral thrush in HIV/AIDS patients with lemon juice and lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus) and gentian violet. Phytomedicine. 2009 Mar;16(2-3):118-24. Epub 2008 Dec 23. PMID: 19109001
 David E Kang, Roger L Sur, George E Haleblian, Nicholas J Fitzsimons, Kristy M Borawski, Glenn M Preminger. Long-term lemonade based dietary manipulation in patients with hypocitraturic nephrolithiasis. J Urol. 2007 Apr;177(4):1358-62; discussion 1362; quiz 1591. PMID: 17382731
 Mohammed Touhami, Amine Laroubi, Khadija Elhabazi, Farouk Loubna, Ibtissam Zrara, Younes Eljahiri, Abdelkhalek Oussama, Félix Grases, Abderrahman Chait. Lemon juice has protective activity in a rat urolithiasis model. BMC Urol. 2007 Oct 5;7:18. PMID: 17919315
 Enza Maria Galati, Antonia Cavallaro, Tommaso Ainis, Maria Marcella Tripodo, Irene Bonaccorsi, Giuseppe Contartese, Maria Fernanda Taviano, Vincenzo Fimiani. Anti-inflammatory effect of lemon mucilage: in vivo and in vitro studies. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2005;27(4):661-70. PMID: 16435583
 Yoshiaki Miyake, Mika Mochizuki, Miki Okada, Masanori Hiramitsu, Yasujiro Morimitsu, Toshihiko Osawa. Isolation of antioxidative phenolic glucosides from lemon juice and their suppressive effect on the expression of blood adhesion molecules. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007 Aug;71(8):1911-9. Epub 2007 Aug 7. PMID: 17690486
 M C de Castillo, C G de Allori, R C de Gutierrez, O A de Saab, N P de Fernandez, C S de Ruiz, A P Holgado, O M de Nader. Bactericidal activity of lemon juice and lemon derivatives against Vibrio cholerae. Biol Pharm Bull. 2000 Oct;23(10):1235-8. PMID: 11041258
 J Grassmann, D Schneider, D Weiser, E F Elstner. Antioxidative effects of lemon oil and its components on copper induced oxidation of low density lipoprotein. Arzneimittelforschung. 2001 Oct;51(10):799-805. PMID: 11715632
 Migiwa Komiya, Takashi Takeuchi, Etsumori Harada. Lemon oil vapor causes an anti-stress effect via modulating the 5-HT and DA activities in mice. Behav Brain Res. 2006 Sep 25;172(2):240-9. Epub 2006 Jun 15. PMID: 16780969
 Yoshiko Fukuchi, Masanori Hiramitsu, Miki Okada, Sanae Hayashi, Yuka Nabeno, Toshihiko Osawa, Michitaka Naito. Lemon Polyphenols Suppress Diet-induced Obesity by Up-Regulation of mRNA Levels of the Enzymes Involved in beta-Oxidation in Mouse White Adipose Tissue. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2008 Nov;43(3):201-9. Epub 2008 Oct 31. PMID: 19015756
Originaly published: 2017-11-13
Article updated: 2019-07-30
Sayer Ji is founder of Greenmedinfo.com, a reviewer at the International Journal of Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine,Co-founder and CEO of Systome Biomed, Vice Chairman of the Board of the National Health Federation, Steering Committee Member of the Global Non-GMO Foundation.Disclaimer: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of GreenMedInfo or its staff.
“© [ Lemon: 12-Evidence Based Health Benefits, Wednesday, July 31st 2019] GreenMedInfo LLC. This work is reproduced and distributed with the permission of GreenMedInfo LLC. Want to learn more from GreenMedInfo? Sign up for the newsletter here //www.greenmedinfo.com/greenmed/newsletter.”